+1 Gaming serves New Orleans metro area gamers and geeks by creating an environment to pursue our hobbies. We provide a comfortable space to play and relax with fellow gamers and geeks, as well as a full retail store for hobby and tabletop games.
We sell and promote:
- Board Games like Catan, Munchkin, Cards Against Humanity, and many more
- Collectible card games (CCGs) like Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Miniature Games like Warmachine and X-Wing
- Roleplaying Games (RPGs) like Dungeons & Dragons, Star Wars RPG, FATE, and Call of Cthulhu
- Accessories like dice, modeling supplies, card sleeves and binders, mats, etc.
- Novelties like t-shirts, bags, mugs and gadgets for the eccentric geek.
+1 Gaming opened in March of 2011 to be a hub for the New Orleans metro gamer community. The owners, Allie and Jeremy Henson, believed in the power of games and a great local game store (LGS) to build relationships and connections in a way that is unique to tabletop gaming – forged in shared stories and experiences around the gaming table.
We strive at every opportunity to create awesome experiences that keep people coming back for more, and to host events that promote a thriving gamer community.
What Are Hobby and Tabletop Games?
Tabletop games are games played with physical game elements (like dice or a board), almost always with one or more other people, and (obviously) on a table. Hobby games means games which often involve time outside actually playing the game, like collecting cards or assembling and painting miniatures.
It does not include video games, sports, or casino-style games.
We believe games are the oldest – and possibly most effective – form of learning. The games we sell and promote develop such skills as:
- Problem-solving, the heart of every game
- Social skills from playing with other people in-person, competitively and cooperatively
- Basic math skills, since nearly all games involve on-the-fly arithmetic from addition to division
- Improved literacy from reading not only game rules but often also accompanying fiction
- Initiative and self-confidence from committing to actions and (hopefully) winning the occasional game
…and a host of other skills, from economics to history. It is our humble assertion that every arena of human activity can be taught through games.