View from the Brink

We are within two weeks of opening, and very possibly one. Everything’s moved in, we’re just organizing everything now. The last inspectors should be in early next week. And we have pictures!

So seriously, this is it. Could something stop us? Well, sure, the world is full of happy little catastrophic surprises. But we’re talking statistically unmeasurable stuff.

So What’s Left?

We’re still finishing organizing, putting everything in a place and tidying. The second picture shows our progress on some shop terrain (with big thanks to a few helpers). There’s a pile of tools and odd building material carefully out of view of those photos, too.

And there are two inspections: a final inspection on our renovation, and the fire marshal check. We did everything up to code, so there’s no reason to expect a hang-up. The parish inspection office has been absurdly helpful and courteous at every stage, and not influenced at all by all those doughnuts Allie brought them. A few people have suggested the fire marshal might be tough, so we’ll see. We’ve treated all our inspectors with total respect, and it’s worked out so far.

Once the inspections are done, we go get our use and occupancy permit, which lets us occupy our store and use it. With that and our end of make-ready done, we will be open for business. I honestly think it’ll be sometime next week, but I’ve never applied for a use and occupancy permit, so I don’t know how long it really takes.

How’s it Look?

By the power of Grayskull, it looks awesome! It’s incredibly comfortable, the shelves are bulging with games, and the staff are gorgeous (and very humble). Don’t take my word though, several people have dropped in to peek and walked around grinning ear to ear. I’m sure they’ll comment below.

We’ll post an official date after applying for use and occupancy, when we have a realistic time frame on getting it. We’ll gear up the advertising in short order, too.

Stay tuned.

21 responses to “View from the Brink”

1. Kevin says:

That is one big, neat, and organized looking store! I had seen the logo for some time now when driving down Vets and never realized what it was (thought internet cafe) until a few days ago. I have to say it is very exciting.

2. Dustin says:

Looks very well stocked, with a great selection (especially the Eurogames) and very neat. Looking forward to shopping and playing there.

3. Wow, looks awesome! I’m looking forward to trying out some cool new board games, building up my own collection, and maybe finally finding a new board gaming group.

4. Clay Cook says:

I have been helping out at the store for several weeks now and I can honestly say it has turned out better than I imagined. There are tons of space available for gamers, the ailes are not cramped, the merchandise is very well organized, and the atmosphere screams, “Welcome! Please Come In!!”

This is going to be huge for the gamers in the New Orleans area. I can’t wait for opening day.

5. Michael says:

I can’t wait to shop and play there. My board game collection is pretty mature but I’m sure I can find something there. Do you know what hours the store will be open?

• Allie says:

We’re going to try out these hours:
      Monday: Closed
      Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 12pm-10pm
      Friday: 12pm-12am
      Saturday: 10am-12pm
      Sunday: 10am-10pm

We’ll see how that works out and adjust as needed, for everyone’s happiness and our sanity.

• Jana says:

Allie, I think you meant Sat 10am – 12am (other days 12am meant midnight).

Looks like you may need Monday – closed unless holiday (then, check website). Or, next survey = “We need a day off. What non-Monday works for you”

6. Baskets says:

I stopped by the store last weekend and Jeremy was nice enough to let me browse around for a few minutes. I can’t wait until I can actually pick things up off the shelves to buy them instead of just gazing longingly at them. Allie and Jeremy seem really excited about getting open, not only for business, but for people to meet and game together. I can’t wait.

7. Ashley says:

Awesome. Was glad to see a copy of Go among the board games. Sweet. Completely full service game shop!!

8. munchman says:

The store is absolutely beautiful, I cant wait to pick up some more munchkin supplies. You easily have the greatest selection of munchkin in town. I cant wait!

9. WingedMedic says:

You can bet I’ll be there opening day. Can’t wait. Looks amazing. Good people and good games. EXCITED!!!

10. Dustin says:

Any chance you’ll have the Killer Bunies Chocolate Expansion available on opening day?

11. Nicci says:

-Insert high pitched fangirl squeel here.-
    I can’t wait!!

12. Scott J. says:

Having walked around a couple of days ago, I have to say that this store is a thing of beauty. Can’t wait for opening day.

13. Mischa says:

I’m looking forward to having a real game store in town again!

14. Kev says:

Looks great!!! I really enjoyed seeing the Savage Worlds books in the third pic! YAY!!!!

15. Brian says:

AHHHH! Don’t be closed Monday, its the most common holiday weekday around. I will be off and no game shops open. GRRR!

16. EarlofGroan says:

I’m guessing the box of Pampers Cruisers in picture 2 is for the players who REALLY don’t want to get up from the table and miss anything?
    Wow…you’ve thought of everything!